Our grief is directly related to the uniqueness of our marriage and no two marriages are the same.
There is a lot of confusion about grief and how a person should handle it. But grief does not come in a tidy box, instead it can be very messy.
What Grief Is:
- Grief is a normal and natural reaction to loss of any kind.
- Grief can be conflicting – happy they are not in pain, sad they are gone.
- Grief goes by the heart not be the brain, it’s very emotional.
- Grief cannot be stereotyped because we are not all the same.
- Grief is a crisis and needs to be respected.
- Grief affects each person differently.
What Grief Is Not:
- Grief is not an orderly process.
- Grief is not a set of stages that everyone goes through.
- Grief is not rational in its reaction to loss.
- Grief is not a disease or illness that we get over.
- Grief is not a diagnosis that explains it all away.
I hope this article helps explain why grief is individual. If you have something about grief that you want to share please post it here.