The Creative Caregiver… ideas for creating a successful journey By Joyce Marie Sheldon
BE A COMMUNICATOR
- Learn to listen.
- Learn to speak clearly, with honesty and kindness.
- Put yourself in the shoes of your loved one who is ill.
- What would you want, need, and long for?
- Speak of love to those who await your tenderness and your touch.
- Speak of faith and hope and joy to those who await your encouragement.
- Speak of kindness and understanding to those who await your compassion.
- Everybody’s different!
- Practice being understanding and compassionate.
- Yours is not to judge, but to love.
- Yours is not to fear, but to accept.
- Yours is not to question, but to answer.
- Yours is not to follow, but to lead.
BE A VISIONARY
- Replace your fear with faith
- Replace your tears with visions of triumph
- When the power of the virtue surges high above the doubt -that is when the heart shall fly – and soar -and feel the freedom.
BE AN ENERGY SAVER
- Prioritize your tasks, ask for help, and be accepting of your limitations.
- A Creed – to know where I must go and those who will come with me; to work, to accomplish, to contribute; to know what must be done and find the courage to do it.
- Practice bending and swaying to the needs of the day; give up rigidity.
- Measure your time in the quality of the task and not the quantity of what is done.
- Look not to what needs to be done, but the value of what has already been accomplished.
These principles can help create a serene environment and more compatible relationships with others.