A Widow’s Resolve To Heal

First a widow needs to promise herself that she will never give up.  To say “I will do….” and “nothing will stop me.”

Be like a child that never stops trying to walk until they are able to do it.  Resolve to heal your broken heart by taking positive action steps.

Learn to be in the moment, to watch the sunset, listen to the silence and capture the experience for what it is.  Until we learn to be in the moment, we will never master the art of living well.

The process of change begins with our attitude.  A positive attitude is everything.

We make ourselves angry when we surrender control of our attitude.  What they did is irrelevant, we make the choice to be angry about it.  To grow as a person, we must accept full responsibility for our own feelings.  Our positive attitude is an asset of great value and we must strengthen and guard it from thieves that seek to steal it from us.

It is your resolve to heal, that will help you make the needed changes in your life.

Unless you change, life won’t change for you.

1. Sharon

Still miss him even after 3and more years. Did not get the chance to say good bye. Married 63 years to childhood sweetheart.

Hi Sharon – I truly understand because my husband also died suddenly and I didn’t have a chance to say good bye. It’s been almost 12 years and there are still times when I really miss him and I’m okay with that. I will miss him to the day I die, but I’ve learned to still make a new life and you will also. Take care, Mary Francis

• Sharon

Thank you for your reply.

2. Sherry

My love has been gone 8 months now and our 20th anniversary is coming up rather quickly. Baby steps is how I am handling everything at this time, but I am doing it one day at a time. Am I honestly ok? No, but I will be okay. It even took me quite a few months, but finally my radio went on. I go out and do things, sometimes, as if we were still doing whatever it is together and holding hands. I still talk to him on a nightly/ daily basis, but I am getting along. I think the holidays are going to be the worse to survive this, but I will do it.. one day at a time.

Dear Sherry – “One day at a time” is the right way to approach being a widow. Sometimes we take a step or two back (that’s grief for you), but our broken hearts do heal. I think it is perfectly normal to talk to him on a nightly/daily basis, so don’t stop if it brings you peace. Take care, Mary Francis

3. Cathy Esposito

I didn’t get a chance to say good bye as well, and I am trying so hard to heal, but it isn’t easy, thank you for your encouraging words, tomorrow is our anniversary we would have been married 37 years I was so proud every year on our anniversary to know we reached another milestone in our life together.

• Sharon

Proud of you, keep trying