Are You a Bold Widow?

To me, as a widow, being bold means taking on a new future that speaks to who I am and the person who I want others to see.

As we know, life is too short not to go after what we want.  When I was younger, I wanted to fit in and be like everyone else.  Being unique was something I would avoid, because it made me uncomfortable to have the focus on me.

But I’m now in my sixties and I care less about what other people think.  I want all widows to be fearless and to feel empowered to be themselves.

Truthfully, life is better when you are bold enough to love the person you are and not the mask you wear to make others comfortable.  The cliché “the only person you can change is you”, is a deep truth.

So be bold, and focus on how you want the rest of your life to unfold.

1. Sherry

I feel as if I am being bold. I know it takes time therefore my process seems slow, but I am slowly changing my home to be me. Yes, of course, I am keeping items that belonged to my love, but most are being donated. This is my first for everything without him so I must start my own traditions and face the world again. Thanksgiving, being only myself as family is north, I am going to have a personal game hen with a small size of whatever else. Christmas will be harder but I have all my four legged children and my sister coming for a few days. I am decorating for the holidays; not alot but enough to be something to please myself. I have even started something small as going out for breakfast places I know we would never have gone. Never did I ever care what others thought of me; however this being without my love are hard shoes to fit into.

Dear Sherry. Thanks for sharing how you are handling your first year as a widow. It’s good to start out small and even though your process may seem slow, it isn’t. It is just right for you and that is what matters. Take care, Mary Francis

2. PL

Boldness is bearing and letting go as best you can with God’s help😇

3. Suzan B

This first year of widowhood and being alone has also been one of changing my home to reflect who I am now – having loved and been loved by the best man for over 20 years. Like Sherry, I have donated much of my husband’s things. I feel it is better to have his clothes out there available for someone in need than hanging in a closet. My husband was very distressed by the disrepair of some areas of our home, so to set him free, I am fixing all of that and updating it to my taste. It is amazing how much joy a small thing like a light in my kitchen niche can bring. It was something I wanted for the last 15 years, my husband always had an excuse for why it wouldn’t work. I found someone to do it and it is glorious! I am making my way trying to find out who I am outside from being a wife. While that was my primary role in life and one I treasured beyond measure. I am first and foremost a child of God and he is leading me on a path to discovery. I am boldly going (albeit stumbling sometimes in sadness) where I never thought I would!

Thanks Suzan B for sharing your journey with us. Mary Francis

4. therese flynn

dear Mary Francis…it’s been 4 years since my husband passed Sept 6, 2015..he died of colon cancer and I was his caretaker for 6 years..we were together 20 years married 16..I miss him so much!!..I’m just starting after 4 years of being isolated to try and be bold to go back out into the world..my husband was 59 when he passed and I was 58..I’m now 63..I lost my mom 6 months prior to my husbands death..and ive helped take care of my dad for the past 4 years..which has been very difficult…in the past 4 years i havent had any emotional support from my husbands family and I have a difficult relationship with my father..a few days ago an incident happened where I now know I need to make some changes in my life.and suddenly ive realized I’ve been very scared about finding ‘me’ again.I was looking for something for widows when i found your website..I’m hoping and praying I can just now begin to take some steps to ask God to help me to be ‘bold’ and step out into life again.and for me this is way out of my comfort zone!! your videos have helped me to start to see possibilities..thanks for being there for us widow’s.sincerely therese…

Hi Therese – Thank you for sharing you journey with me. It does take courage to change things and also determination. I know you can do it. It’s been a long time since you did something just for yourself so it may seem odd at first, but don’t give up. I hope you went to the area on the website where you can request a free download of the three guides I have. They are filled with information that will help you on your journey. I will then be able to send you emails for the next year with some great articles, support and encouragement. Take care of yourself, Mary Francis