How Will You Survive The Holidays and Covid-19?

Christmas 2020 is definitely going to be different from any other that we’ve experienced.  But, the truth is for us widows, Christmas is different with or without Covid-19.

We don’t have our loved ones and there are no dreams for it all to be over so that next Christmas will be back to normal.  Not so for us!!

The utmost important thing is that you take the recommended health precautions of staying socially distant and to wear masks when outside your social circle or “bubble”.

For your mental health, meet up regularly for online chats/video calls with family and friends.

If you’ve had health issues because of covid-19 or if you have lost a loved one by it, the holidays are even harder because of the lack of physical support – hugs are so needed at this time.

Be flexible about family traditions and honor their memories, even if you are doing it by yourself.  Holidays are not for the weak hearted and with a broken heart it sometimes takes everything you have to just get out of bed.

If you begin to feel that life is not worth living or have thoughts of self-harm, seek professional help immediately.  Reach out to someone you trust, call your suicide help line or make an appointment to see a professional counselor.

Surviving the holidays will take all the support and encouragement you can surround yourself with.

Download my Free Guides, subscribe to my Blog and request to join on Facebook “The Sisterhood of Widows – Private Group for Widows”.  It’s a group of over 4,000 widows from around the world that support and encourage each other.

You don’t have to do this alone – reach out online and get the support you need.

1. Mary

I lost my husband to Covid thanksgiving. We would have celebrated 24 year anniversary three days later. I have no idea when I’ll feel anything again. Christmas…….

Dear Mary. Let yourself be numb for a while as it’s your broken heart protecting itself from the pain of your grief. The numbness fades when your heart is ready to heal. Don’t rush your grief. It has to have its time.

I’m sorry for your loss. Stay safe. Mary Francis

• Michele

I lost my husband of 32 years and 38 years my friend on November 23rd 2020 to the virus a horrible lonely death and he was out of state at the time we were on video chat for 1 week 24 hours 7 days a week until they had to ventilate him. his birthday was November 25th he would have been 56. I must say the new world I’m living in feels very strange.

Dear Michele. I am so very sorry for your loss and also for you not being able to be there with him. There are several ladies that have been widowed in my private Facebook group “The Sisterhood Of Widows – Private Group for Widows” and you may find the encouragement you need there.

Meanwhile please take care of yourself and be safe.

Mary Francis

2. Joan

I was widowed in April. My husband suffered a Pulmonary ambulism in our hotel room the night before his pre-op testing for bladder cancer surgery. We were married for 44 yrs. I am going to begin seeing a therapist next week for possible PTSD related symptoms, as I was left feeling that I should have been able to do something for him.
    With that and Covid, things have been very tough. My children and grandchildren are my salvation, I am trying to push through the Holidays for them. I find however I can only go so far, and then, I hit the wall.

Dear Joan. I am so sorry for your loss. It’s so hard to watch our loved ones die and not be able to do anything for them. I couldn’t help my Donnie either, but after my broken heart healed I hard for you. You have family that loves you, may that bring you some joy.

Take care and be safe. Mary Francis

Dear Joan. I am sorry for your loss. I couldn’t help my husband either, but as my broken heart healed I found joy in my children and grandchildren. It is my hope that you find the peace you seek in the love your family gives you. Holidays are hard for us widows, but they do get easier with time. Take care and be safe. Mary Francis