As a widow you may be wondering whether or not you would benefit from commonly prescribed drugs for depression.
There are many medications that are currently used to treat anxiety, panic attacks and depression. In an ideal world we could leave it to our doctor to make all the decisions, but in the real world it pays to be well informed about any and all medications you are taking.
Your knowledge can enhance the dialogue you have between you and your doctor. The important fact to remember is that there are times when prescribed drugs are needed.
- If you feel suicidal.
- If you are out of touch with reality, having delusions or hallucinations.
- If severely depressed or anxious to the point that you cannot function.
If you try one medication and it doesn’t seem to help talk to your doctor about raising the dose or switching to another type. If you have questions about the dose, the side effects or the effectiveness of any drug you are taking please talk to your doctor.
One more thing – ask how long you may have to be on the drug once you start taking it. No matter how effective the drug is, you cannot stay on it forever. Use the time you are on it to research what else is out there for depression and anxiety.
It also may be helpful to talk to a therapist. There are many different therapists depending on their training. It’s important to understand what you are looking for.
- Psychiatrists – are physicians who specialize in mental disorders and can prescribe medications.
- Clinical Psychologists – are also trained in research, assessment and various therapies.
- Psychoanalysts – may not be a doctor but are still trained at an analytic institute.
- Social Workers – with graduate degree and some training in psychotherapy.
- Certified Pastoral Counselors – clergy with graduate degree in some area of mental health.
- Counselors – in schools, prisons and job sites. Can offer guidance but not qualified to give a more in-depth assessment.
Mary Francis, The Sisterhood of Widows
#widows, #prescribeddrugsforwidows, #thesisterhoodofwidow