Husband's suicide  

RSS

ljg
 ljg
(@ljg)
15/02/2019 6:26 am  

My husband died by suicide 7 weeks ago, he battled a failing heart, alcoholism and depression. I am curious if anyone else who lost someone to suicide has had the same experience as I with people's (even close friends) reactions of becoming standoffish with regards to his chosen matter of death. It seems as though they are nervous to even speak the word " suicide" as if it is contagious, and I am sorry to say that I have even had people ask me " how did you not know he was suicidal" or " did you try to stop him? " I understand that people are uncomfortable with both suicide and mental health issues, however I am baffled by their responses. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mary Francis
(@mfrancis)
Member Admin
15/02/2019 12:25 pm  

Dear lig - the responses you are receiving are sadly common as everyone has insensitive people in their lives.  Unless you have had loved ones with mental health issues, you just can not relate.  But even though they can’t relate, they should still be able to have enough sense to keep their comments to themselves.  Wouldn’t the world be a better place if everyone reached out to encourage instead of to criticize?    Bottom line is that this has to do with their lack of judgment and nothing to do with you.   Don’t spend any time focusing on their comments because they are quite simply not worthy of your time.  Your focus needs to be on your healing and so please surround yourself with positive and supportive friends and family.  It helps if can find a local grief support group in your area for survivors of suicide so you can share with others who really understand what you are feeling.   Take care of yourself first because you matter. Mary Francis

ReplyQuote
Share: