Losing your spouse is the # 1 life changing event in a widows life. You’re not thinking clearly (even if you think you are) and yet you’re expected to make financial decisions that will impact the rest of your life.
Don’t stand back and let others rush you into “clearing up the paper work”. Take time to reflect on what you want for your future.
- Gather up all your legal and financial documents in one place.
- List outstanding bills – monthly and yearly.
- If your spouse had been working contact them regarding benefits and last payout.
- Convert joint accounts into your name only.
- Apply for government benefits and pensions.
- Rewrite your will.
- Put insurance payouts into a money market account until you have time to plan.
- Hire a financial adviser or seek advise from your local banker.
For more on financial help and advice go to https://sisterhoodofwidows.com/widowed-insurance-and-finance/